Setting up a website is not as difficult as you may think. In today’s world it is easy to set up your own website – whether it is a personal site, a hobby site, or a business site. You do not even have to know how to write HTML coding to do so. Here are the steps you need to take to set up your website and have it running in a short period of time.
1. Determine what you will include on your website and what you want it to achieve. Make a list so that you can see exactly what you are doing with the site so that you understand what you need when it comes down to determining which web hosting site you are going to contract with to host your site.
2. Research the many different types of website hosting that is currently available and don’t forget to include green web hosting companies in your research. Depending on your needs, you could find yourself paying anywhere from $4 to $20 a month for your web hosting. If you know that your website is going to bring in a lot of traffic right away, consider going with a VPS web hosting package so that your resources are not hampered by other websites on the same server
3. Purchase your domain name. You can purchase it from a cheap domain name registrar or as part of your web hosting package. If you purchase it separate from your web hosting service, that domain name can be used with whatever company you choose.
4. Purchase your hosting plan and any additional extras that they offer in order to meet your needs. The extras you purchase will be determined based on your website needs and the level of computer expertise and experience you have. For example, if you want a blog on your site but have never actually set one up, you could purchase ‘instant blog set-up’ service.
5. Follow your web hosting company’s instructions to tie your domain name and your website together. You may not need to do this if you purchased the domain name with the hosting package. In that case, it will already be connected.
6. If you have specialty software you want to use on your website, upload it onto the file server and prepare it for use.
7. Build your website using whatever software you are comfortable with and then add your blog and other software into it. Some hosting companies offer free software to help you do this or you can use a program such as Dreamweaver. If you use an outside program you will have uploaded the files via FTP.
8. Market your website to the best of your ability and make sure you have search engine optimized content so that it can easily be found.
9. Maintain your website so that it continuously appeals to your audience and presents current information. If the site is attracting a lot of traffic, review your hosting plan to make sure it is still meeting your needs.
10. Consider expanding your website if it becomes really popular.