The idea of a web hosting unlimited account sounds tantalizing. It sounds like once you decide on the unlimited option, you will have unlimited space available to you on the server to do what you want with. Beware – this is rarely so and in most cases all you end up doing is spending more money than you need to for things you don’t need and will often miss out on features that are really important to the operation of your web site.
It’s good to be optimistic and believe that your business will grow and with that so will the size and complexity of your web site. But don’t act in haste. Buy only the space you need at the moment – with perhaps another 20% if you have the money to spare. What’s more important is to have a commitment from the web host that more space will be available to you in future as and when you want it. The hosting company may advise you to take up unlimited space now, so that when your space requirements increase, they don’t have to move your site to another server. But, so what if they have to? It’s their responsibility and their servers so they should be able to do the change, if needed, smoothly without disrupting your operations.
Before you decide to go in for a web hosting unlimited account, here are seven things you need to think about.
- If you buy only the space you need, that’s all you will be paying for – and it’s not expensive. But if you opt for unlimited space you will be paying from day one for space you may use after a year or two, if at all.
- Unlimited hosting does not always mean that everything associated with the web hosting is unlimited. You may have unlimited domains, but that does not necessarily mean unlimited storage and bandwidth to support them.
- Do some research into how many sites like yours have opted for unlimited hosting. Chat rooms are a great place to get an idea on this. You will find that most people who opted for unlimited hosting now wish they had not – they are paying for resources they do not use and this money could have been more productively used.
- Unlimited web hosting accounts are far more complex that the fixed space ones. You will need to devote quite a bit of time to finding your way around. Is it worth it?
- In most cases when you take an unlimited hosting account you will be responsible for your own account operation so you need to check on how much customer support you can expect to get if you need it.
- Check on how long sites with unlimited hosting accounts from the server company take to load. Often these are much slower than web sites on fixed size hosting. This is not an area you can afford to compromise on. Slow loading means people may not be prepared to wait and will move on before seeing what your site has to offer.
- Because of the extra load that unlimited accounts place on servers, the uptime is often less than with fixed space accounts. Make sure that your hosting company will guarantee you the same level of uptime.
Do not fall into the unlimited hosting trap unless you are sure of what you are doing. It’s best to set up your site and watch its growth over a period of time. This will give you an idea of how much more space you will need in stages and you need only buy and pay for that much at that time.